Enjoy a taste of Uniworld at home
FRENCH Onion Soup
You might never have been on a Uniworld river cruise, but you can enjoy a taste of life onboard with this soup recipe. Unfortunately it doesn’t come with a chef to make it for you!
Serves 6 | Created by Bea Tollman and the chefs of Uniworld
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces
- 6 large yellow onions, halved and cut top to bottom into 3cm slices
- Table salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup white wine (recommended: Riesling, Pinot Blanc, Alsace Gewrztraminer)
- 2 cups water, plus extra for deglazing
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, tied with twine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup Madeira
- 1 small baguette, cut into 2cm slices and toasted on both sides (optional: top the slices with garlic butter)
- 225g shredded Gruyre cheese
1 Saute the onions with the butter until the onions are golden brown. Add salt and pepper, and then deglaze with the white wine, water and broth. Add the bay leaf and thyme and cook slowly for 45 minutes.
2 Pick out the thyme and bay leaf and adjust the seasoning to taste.
3 Add the Madeira and pour the soup into bowls. Place the baguette slices on top, sprinkle with the cheese and bake until the cheese melts.